Monday, 16 January 2017

Baby Steps

Many years ago, my son introduced me to a special girlfriend's parents - and asked me not to "boing". Boing I asked - what do you mean? He replied,
"You know, like the comic cartoons - boing, boing, boing, bouncing ball - with continual conversation direction changes. Keep it simple."

This was my first realisation that my mind might lack focus - it probably had for years - but it never worried me.  I am glad to say that the girlfriend was not that special and soon disappeared. I never received any cautionary warnings about his wife's parents and must assume that either they didn't mind the boing attitude or my son had accepted that his wife was for keeps - and his mother would not be able to keep up pretence for a lifetime.

This serves as an introduction to my meanderings. This is a Dear Diary blog - where I put down my thoughts as a catharsis for myself and to commit to writing something on a daily basis.

This day, 17th January 2017, was to be the first day of our great expedition around the coast of South Africa. 74 days in a camping trailer tent from the northern and western Cape coast to the Kwazulu northern game reserves. Unfortunately due to my partner Henner's eye problems diagnosed last week this has been postponed till later in the year.  I had wrapped all my new year resolutions into the beginning of this trip - get healthy, write 300 words a day, connect with friends. This seemed an easy task - as the trip had few distractions, being just Henner and myself for the most part and in mainly isolated areas.

I had a heartfelt discussion with myself - do I postpone these resolutions until the start of the trip - or do I go ahead and do them in the comfort of home - where distractions are many - food is easily available in the shops and the wine store is just down the road! Myself and I agreed that I should go ahead as planned - and the blog should be about my road to recovery healthwise and my journey back to writing - which has been my dream since I was old enough to remember my dreams.

I have been pretty blank on writing for the last few years - I talk to myself and tell stories in my head and when I get to the keyboard it all goes dark. I read - but focus on the stories as an escape - not on the writing as an inspiration.

That covers my word requirement - more to follow.


No comments:

Post a Comment